Thursday, April 21, 2005

Where Does the Rage Go?

When my only daughter, Julie, was killed, I joined a “club” that I wish had no members. The price of admission is too high. I know the pain of losing a loved one because of a senseless act of violence.

But I also remembered the time Julie and I were driving across Iowa during her junior year of college, listening to a newscast on the radio about an execution. Julie said, “Dad, what they're doing in Texas makes me sick. All they're doing is teaching hate to their children. It has no social redeeming value.” I didn't think much about it at the time, but after Julie was killed, it kept echoing in my mind.


Read the rest of this thought provoking article that is asking some good questions on where we put rage when a horrible tragedy happens? This man's daughter was killed in Oklahoma.

This isn't a posting for or against the death penalty, as you will see in this article, but it is just leading me to ponder how or where we release our anger.

Also look at this article on the Red Lake tragedy that I was linked to through Daily Dig.

I have been working with our team at The Journey this week, and find myself seeing where others anger has put these women in crisis and how their own anger has been dealt with through addictions and other self harming ways. And I wonder what those inner spaces of anger and pain would look like if we each would hold these hurting children in the Light? Is there just one person today that I could be Jesus to to share that inner pain for?

No comments: