Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Fast Food Temptation

Driving home tonight, after a 12-hour day, I thought about making supper and then I thought I am too tired and too lazy so I would pick something up. Well there is McDonalds – definitely not. Across the street is Wendy’s – well no, I don’t think so. Then there is A & W, a good old Canadian tradition and one of the first carhop venues in the country. Now you have to know, I have a great weakness for French fries, and also for poutine. Poutine is a French Canadian dish of fries, cheese curds and gravy. In grade 12 I had French fries and gravy every morning in the school cafeteria between classes!! Okay okay I admit it – I really love French fries and gravy. I even like the Dutch frites mit peanut sauce.

So tonight, being tired, having prepared a special French toast for the guests breakfast at work, and then risotto with grilled vegetables for lunch, and not feeling like cooking, buying supper seemed like a good idea. It is so easy to drive through, exchange the money for the food and head home to eat. That's the point of fast food - instant gratification.

But…ah ha…the budget said “NO” and the health conscious corner of my brain concurred with the budget so the little Jetta drove right on by A& W and straight home! And Sebastian the cat would not be pleased at an unhealthy choice.

Let me see, there was organic veggies – swiss chard, zucchini, and onions. The package of steam-fried noodles had enough for one portion. A tin of coconut milk was sitting by itself on the shelf (no I don’t keep heaps of food in my house for a “just in case” scenario!); there are a few almonds and some curry powder too.

My own creation of "fast food" was most delicious and I behaved myself and bypassed the French fries, and the poutine. Stir fried onion, zucchini and swiss chard in a little vegetable oil and sesame oil and then some chopped almonds were added and a bit of curry powder. The steam fried noodles were boiled for 2 minutes, yes that is all they need, drained and added to the veggies and then a bit of coconut milk. Tastes like Singapore fried noodles from the Chinese restaurant but no MSG.

Now it is time to do some chores here and enjoy the extra light that longer days have brought along.

No comments: